On a scale of 1 to 10, how pretentious would it be of me to post this on Facebook? After having strangers comment rudely on several of my posts (one of which basically told me that I’m not as good or strong a mother as SHE was - WTF?!), I’m tempted!
Facebook Etiquette 101: Commenting on Statuses
When your friend posts something on their own wall, and you don’t agree with it, you should do one of the following:
- Keep on scrolling. Read it, form an opinion about it, and move on, or,
- If you REALLY disagree, write an opposing status of your own, on your own wall, giving anyone who disagrees with you these same options for handling their own disagreement, or,
- If you REALLY, REALLY disagree, effing block the offender! If you’re real-life friends, this may mean only hiding them from your News Feed; otherwise, man up and unfriend or block-block them!
You should avoid taking any of the following actions, as it’s bad form:
- Comment on the status in a disparaging or rude manner. Remind yourself that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and take a step back, please.
- Comment on a non-friend’s status. The News Feed now allows us to see our friends’ comments on non-friends’ statuses. When you don’t even know the initial poster, control yourself from commenting on a STRANGER’S posts!